General Discussion
  Quotes (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Quotes
munchkin
posted 11-12-2006 04:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for munchkin   Click Here to Email munchkin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maybe I'm a freak, but I love quotes. Funny ones, stupid ones, ones that make you think. I have a book and I write down all the ones I come across that I like and want to remember. I want to expand my little collection, so I figured, why not ask you guys? I thought it might be cool to have a topic for quote-sharing. Here's one of my favourites:

"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, then he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well." (You guessed it - Martin Luther King)

IP: Logged

Mistress Hibbins
posted 11-12-2006 05:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mistress Hibbins     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I love that quote.

Here is something that I said to my brother just the other day that I had to write down and save just because it was so random and bizarre:
"Does the ocean smell like dead things or do dead things smell like the ocean?"

We both laughed because of the strange "Zen" ring to it. Then he ruined it with the reply, "It's obvious--the ocean smells like dead things, you idiot."

As for a more dignified quote:
"We are all filled with a longing for the wild. There are few culturally sanctioned antidotes for this yearning. We were taught to feel shame for this desire. We grew our hair long and used it to hide our feelings. But the shadow of Wild Woman still lurks behind us during our days and in our nights. No matter where we are, the shadow that trots behind us is definitely four-footed."
--the brief forward of Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D.

[This message has been edited by Mistress Hibbins (edited 11-12-2006).]

jerseyminx
posted 11-12-2006 06:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jerseyminx   Click Here to Email jerseyminx     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lord what FOOLS these mortals be.

Yero the Hero
posted 11-12-2006 06:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Yero the Hero   Click Here to Email Yero the Hero     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.

-Truman Capote

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Saint Aelphaba
posted 11-12-2006 07:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My favorite quote that stands to date is:

“I write this sitting in the kitchen sink. That is, my feet are in it; the rest of me is on the draining-board."
The first line of Dodie Smith's "I capture the Castle"

And Capote has amazing quotes.

Spawn of Elphaba
posted 11-12-2006 07:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Spawn of Elphaba   Click Here to Email Spawn of Elphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
One of my favorites, my mom always says it
"You need a deck of cards to handle a man...a heart to love him, a diamond to marry him, a club to kill him, and a spaid to burry him."

Saint Aelphaba
posted 11-12-2006 08:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn of Elphaba:
One of my favorites, my mom always says it
"You need a deck of cards to handle a man...a heart to love him, a diamond to marry him, a club to kill him, and a spaid to burry him."

That, is now my all time favorite quote.

And this, from Ellen Foster, the first line.
"I used to lie awake at night and think of ways to kill my daddy, work 'em all the way through till I found the one I liked, my favorite one was when I'd stick a spider down his back..."

I will never forget that.

MusicalTheatreObsessed
posted 11-12-2006 09:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MusicalTheatreObsessed   Click Here to Email MusicalTheatreObsessed     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"No man for any considerable period of time can show one face to the masses and another to himself, without becoming bewildered as to which may be true."

~Nathaniel Hawthorne; The Scarlet Letter

It was true then, it is true now, and I beleive it will forever be true!

munchkin
posted 11-14-2006 07:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for munchkin   Click Here to Email munchkin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
These are cool thanks

"Everything in this room is eatable. Even I am eatable, but that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and it is in fact frowned upon in most societies." (Willy Wonka, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the new one)

Saint Aelphaba
posted 11-14-2006 07:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Not if you include the Laistrygonians from Homer's Odeyssey! They were cannibals!

... eww...

Oh, I love this quote:
"Well you see, dark and are aren't really rhymes, but if you can get away with 'throw your hands in the air like you just don't care....' but 'throw your hands air, like there are no repercussions... just doesn't sound the same.." - Manoel Felicano
(paraphrase, I forgot a couple words.!)

Yero the Hero
posted 11-14-2006 07:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Yero the Hero   Click Here to Email Yero the Hero     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Speaking of Willy Wonka...

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

-Roald Dahl

MusicalTheatreObsessed
posted 11-14-2006 08:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MusicalTheatreObsessed   Click Here to Email MusicalTheatreObsessed     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm gonna be a picky bitch and say that this thread is mislabeled. We are listing quotations not quotes. A quote is a verb, it is what you do. A quotation is a noun. An author writed a quotation, and then you quote the author. Aaah the joys of Accelerated AP English.

slightlyconfuzzled
posted 11-14-2006 10:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for slightlyconfuzzled     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MusicalTheatreObsessed:
An author writed a quotation, and then you quote the author. Aaah the joys of Accelerated AP English.

Irony?

jerseyminx
posted 11-14-2006 10:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jerseyminx   Click Here to Email jerseyminx     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker,

-Ogden Nash

A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

-Willy Wonka, unless he was quoting someone else that I don't know about.

slightlyconfuzzled
posted 11-14-2006 11:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for slightlyconfuzzled     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Whoever said anything is possible has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
--Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by slightlyconfuzzled (edited 11-14-2006).]

The Scarecrow
posted 11-15-2006 06:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for The Scarecrow   Click Here to Email The Scarecrow     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slightlyconfuzzled:
Irony?

Your not kidding.

Yero the Hero
posted 11-15-2006 10:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Yero the Hero   Click Here to Email Yero the Hero     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Scarecrow:
Your not kidding.

You're not kidding

(I guessing you did that on purpose)

[This message has been edited by Yero the Hero (edited 11-15-2006).]

The Scarecrow
posted 11-15-2006 04:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for The Scarecrow   Click Here to Email The Scarecrow     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm guessing you did that on purpose.

Yes.

MusicalTheatreObsessed
posted 11-15-2006 08:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MusicalTheatreObsessed   Click Here to Email MusicalTheatreObsessed     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slightlyconfuzzled:
Irony?

Try more like poking fun.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 11-15-2006 08:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
More like, one uping each other.

Oh, a great quote was said by my old director, who finally gave up and lost it and shouted:

"FRANK!. A Lion is growling and TALKING in your backyard. You live in Kansas. Run outside, there is a LION there. People in Kansas don't run outside for anything else!"

And he responded:
"Except for tornadoes."

bookwoman27
posted 11-15-2006 09:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bookwoman27     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have so many favorites, but here are just a few....

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." –- Susan B. Anthony

"There is no persecution so bitter as that in the name of religion." –- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

"It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake." -- Frederick Douglass

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." -- Frederick Douglass

"I like the silent church before the service begins, better than any preaching." –- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I myself have never been able to find out what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." -– Rebecca West

bgryphon
posted 11-15-2006 09:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bgryphon   Click Here to Email bgryphon     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Not exactly inspirational, but I like it:

"Isn't sanity really just a one trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy…ooh hoo hoo hoo…the sky's the limit!"

And two from Mark Twain:

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."

And my favourite from him, just because it's him:

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read."

slightlyconfuzzled
posted 11-15-2006 09:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for slightlyconfuzzled     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Try more like poking fun.

The Scarecrow
posted 11-15-2006 11:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for The Scarecrow   Click Here to Email The Scarecrow     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Why did God give homely girls like me feelings like the pretty ones. It is not fair. It's just not fair."
-Spring Storm

I think back on that line on a daily basis. It is so true. And very not fair.

slightlyconfuzzled
posted 11-15-2006 11:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for slightlyconfuzzled     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A motivational speaker came to my school.
"How can one become disabled?"
A kindergartener raised his hand.
"Yes?"
"If a shark comes and bites your arm off, you become disabled."
"I suppose, but that's more of an accident..."
"NO IT'S AN ACT OF GOD!"

Geez, that cracked me up.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 11-15-2006 11:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Scarecrow:
"Why did God give homely girls like me feelings like the pretty ones. It is not fair. It's just not fair."
-Spring Storm

I think back on that line on a daily basis. It is so true. And very not fair.

(And, I agree, it's so true, it's just the tip of the iceberg.)

My mom has a book, called "Men'll put you on a pedastool so they can look up your skirt, a dad's advice to daughters."

The first quote, of dating says:

"I have to go get my fingerprints done today, because by law, in New York, in order to own a handgun you must get your fingerprints tested. So, I'm going to do that today, so when my daughter brings home a boyfriend or something I'll be ready, sitting on the front porch, gun in hand."

Now, that just cracks me up. I never did show that book to my dad, don't want him getting any ideas.

HuffinThePuffin
posted 11-16-2006 08:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HuffinThePuffin   Click Here to Email HuffinThePuffin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"well what if there is no tomarrow, there wasn't one today" -Bill Murry in Groundhog day.

"God is silent now if we could only get man to shut up" -Woody Allen

"You are you, now isn't that pleasent?" -Ted Geisel AKA Dr. Seuss

Saint Aelphaba
posted 11-16-2006 11:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My English teacher, using Subdiffusion on us:

"Now, if you were you, but not really you being you. And I was I, not being me because I was someone else, what would you being you say to me being someone else, if I told you that I was Odysseus."

me: "I GET IT NOW!"

MusicalTheatreObsessed
posted 11-26-2006 01:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MusicalTheatreObsessed   Click Here to Email MusicalTheatreObsessed     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
“I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more wars.”

That is the best thing I've ever heard.

slightlyconfuzzled
posted 11-26-2006 02:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for slightlyconfuzzled     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
That is the best thing I've ever heard.

I second that statement.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 11-26-2006 06:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A couple of my favorite quotes are from "Time Traveler's Wife:"

"As a member of DeTamble and DeTamble, alcholics on the rise.."

"My room looks like it could qualify for Federal Disaster Relief funds..."

munchkin
posted 11-26-2006 07:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for munchkin   Click Here to Email munchkin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm thinking that I seriously need to read The Time Traveller's Wife. Everyone on here talks about it! I bet you anything I can't get hold of it in stupid Britain, years behind you lot. What's it about?

*goes on internet mission to locate single copy of the book available in Britain today*

Edited to say that I just found it on ebay for 99p, so it is on the way to my house and I will be able to get it when I go home on friday! I went on Amazon first and the cheapest they had was £45, what's that about?!
Did you know it's being made into a film? (Of course you did. I'm always a few years behind everyone else.)

[This message has been edited by munchkin (edited 11-26-2006).]

Greenery
posted 11-27-2006 04:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Greenery   Click Here to Email Greenery     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There be a thread about TTTW around here somewhere, so you can read about it there if you be liking to do so.

Spawn of Elphaba
posted 11-28-2006 06:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Spawn of Elphaba   Click Here to Email Spawn of Elphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerseyminx:
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker,

-Ogden Nash

speaking of boos...
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty, as long as you have the rest of the bottle."

"If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then lets get wasted and have the time of our lives."

munchkin
posted 11-28-2006 06:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for munchkin   Click Here to Email munchkin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Reality, hmmm... isn't that the unfortunate occurance between bouts of extreme drunkeness?"

(That pretty much sums up my university Fresher's Week. Meeting people + parties + my birthday = lots of alcohol.)

slightlyconfuzzled
posted 01-14-2007 12:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for slightlyconfuzzled     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Bump

"And when you're in black pants with accenuating, off-white pinstripes (wa-oh) everything goes according to plan."
- Panic! at the Disco

Dasha
posted 01-14-2007 01:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dasha   Click Here to Email Dasha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Never did I believe there could be such utter happiness in this world, such a feeling of unity between two mortal beings. I love you, those three words have my life in them"

"I dreamed that I was loved, I woke and found it true and thanked God on my knees for it. True love is the gift which God has given, daily, stronger, deeper, fuller, purer.'"

Alix, a.k.a. Aleksandra Feodorovna, the last Empress of Russia (1872-1918)

I found these two in the book titled "A Lifelong Passion: Nikolai And Aleksandra In Their Own Words". It is basically a collection of letters that were written by the last Tsar and Tsaritsa of Russia. Interesting if one is a history buff.

"We are not amused".

Queen Victoria

The last one I got off of a history discusision forum.

[This message has been edited by Dasha (edited 01-16-2007).]

Saint Aelphaba
posted 01-14-2007 10:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Can a ghost find you if she wants to?" - Second Glance.

"I think your child is seeing God." - Keeping Faith.

"You guys line up alphabetically by height."
- Bill Peterson, Florida State football coach

"It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago"

munchkin
posted 01-14-2007 10:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for munchkin   Click Here to Email munchkin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Apparently, Queen Victoria never actually said that, yet everyone seems to think she did.

lostladyknight
posted 01-14-2007 11:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lostladyknight   Click Here to Email lostladyknight     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Give all to love; obey thy heart."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Oscar Wilde

"I'm not interested in money. I just want to be wonderful."
Marilyn Monroe

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | gregorymaguire.com

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46