Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of theWest
  Elphaba's Song (Page 2)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Elphaba's Song
elphabasmirror
posted 09-06-2008 12:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphabasmirror   Click Here to Email elphabasmirror     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Oooo very very interesting theory SA! Well done!

------------------
"What do you want?" "a little peace and quiet" "no, really" she started to say "a soldier" to make fun of his mooning affections over the guys in uniform. But realising even as she said it that he would be hurt, she caught herself halfway, and in the end what came out of her mouth surprised them both. She said "a soul-" page 470 wicked-uk version

IP: Logged

Glinny Dinny
posted 09-06-2008 02:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Glinny Dinny   Click Here to Email Glinny Dinny     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's a good theory, but I think the lyrics wouldn't be exact. Rainbow lyrics are too pansy for our Elphie.

EminentThropp
posted 09-06-2008 03:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for EminentThropp     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
oooooooooh thats good never thought about that.

Elphaboy
posted 10-08-2008 07:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elphaboy   Click Here to Email Elphaboy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I so agree with person who posted this topic, thats what I thought the first tim eI read it, I was wondering if anyone else picked that up.
And in the musical they did the same thing, throughout the play there's a music que that appears. The lyric Un-LIM-it-ed has like as many common notes with 'Somewhere over the Rainbow" as copyright allows.according to, I think it was the Grimmorre

[This message has been edited by Elphaboy (edited 10-08-2008).]

snow_white
posted 10-09-2008 01:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for snow_white   Click Here to Email snow_white     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sadhbh:
If i remember rightly, Nessa then says something along the lines of..
"Elphie says she doesnt believe religion, but she how beautifully she sings of the afterlife"
Something like that.

I think you could be on to something there.
*ClapClap*
Good observation.

Could that just be Nessa's views? She's very reliogous, so thereofre, for her, the after life could be the world she dreams of. They mention the other world constantly in the book, and it's quite possible that it would be like oz to nayone in the dream world.

Lizard Girl
posted 10-09-2008 08:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lizard Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think when Nessa says that Elphaba was singing about afterlife, what Maguire wants to show is that Elphaba,too, has a soul although she herself denies it. Singing is almost always used in religious rituals, and it tends to open the singer's inner world,as well. So by singing Elphaba reveals her deep spiritual world, which Nessa interpretates in terms that she understands

tatiana
posted 10-14-2008 04:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tatiana   Click Here to Email tatiana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I thought that it was pretty blatant that Maguire was hinting that that was what she was singing. He couldn't have been any more obvious about it without writing the lyrics right in there, and that would've gotten him into quite the copyright shtick.

meko
posted 10-22-2008 06:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for meko   Click Here to Email meko     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I dont believe that Elphaba and Dorothy were singing the same song or even remotely close for that matter. They are two completely different people and two extremely different personalities.

Seashell
posted 10-24-2008 03:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Seashell   Click Here to Email Seashell     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
*shhh double post somehow*

[This message has been edited by Seashell (edited 10-24-2008).]

Seashell
posted 10-24-2008 03:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Seashell   Click Here to Email Seashell     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meko:
I dont believe that Elphaba and Dorothy were singing the same song or even remotely close for that matter. They are two completely different people and two extremely different personalities.

I agree. Elphaba is singing about clearing up the problems in Oz, iradicating all things prejudice and things unjust. Sort of like a 'heaven on earth' kind of thing.

I think it was meant to be ironic that Nessarose infers that her sister is singing about some kind of afterlife, as if people who aren't Elphaba don't believe that you can make a 'heaven on earth'. Elphaba really believes in change. Not in simply making do and hoping for better in another life.

Dorothy is singing about being somewhere better instead of changing her own situation to make it better for herself. Elphie wouldn't be like that. Elphie runs from nothing.

I think it may be a nod to Dorothy's song from the film but it is about something entirely different in the book. Elphie's vison of what she wants and strives for in Oz.

nessaheart
posted 11-11-2008 05:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nessaheart     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," actually. Just cut down and vague to avoid copyright-infringement issues.

------------------

Mirsha
posted 12-15-2008 03:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mirsha   Click Here to Email Mirsha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I love reading your guys theorys as it really makes you think about things you might not have done otherwise. I think it's very possible that Elphies song was a nod to 'Somewhere over the rainbow' and whether she was singing about the other world or a changed Oz it's still quite fitting.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | gregorymaguire.com

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46