Gregory Maguire Discussion Board
  Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of theWest
  Average age of people who read Wicked? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 19 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Average age of people who read Wicked?
alongdrive
posted 08-05-2005 05:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alongdrive   Click Here to Email alongdrive     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
From the opening prologue with mentions of castration and hermaphrodites, I realised this probably wasn't intended to be a book for children. There's other points throughout the book where sexual situations are outlined fairly frankly and the book is so heavily religious and governmental that it really seems like it's intended for adult audiences.

Yet some of the posts in this forum really sound like they were written by twelve year olds. Things like "i love elphie shes the best" and the like. So what is the average age of a reader of this book?

I'm 20, myself.

IP: Logged

zacwac_08
posted 08-05-2005 06:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for zacwac_08   Click Here to Email zacwac_08     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 15.

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-05-2005 06:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i'm 13

Elphaba's Soul
posted 08-05-2005 07:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elphaba's Soul     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
18...and i really hope I dont sound like that :-x I'm planning on studying writing in college (haha)

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-05-2005 07:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 13. and I understood everything in Wicked. And I hope I dont sound like a 12 year old. I do believe I have brought up some good points. And I think the youngest age someone should read Wicked is probably 13 or 14.

kumbricwitch
posted 08-05-2005 09:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kumbricwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 20.

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-05-2005 11:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
St. Aelphaba we are the youngest ones here, well at least on this board

Prince Fiyero
posted 08-05-2005 11:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Prince Fiyero   Click Here to Email Prince Fiyero     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
im 21, i read wicked for the first time at 16

EmeraldKnight 79
posted 08-05-2005 11:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for EmeraldKnight 79   Click Here to Email EmeraldKnight 79     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
im 15 right now. the first time i read Wicked was at 14 maybe even 13 i dont remember.

Polychrome
posted 08-05-2005 11:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Polychrome     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 36... read the book for the first time a few weeks ago.

My username comes from one of the Oz books. Polychrome was the Rainbow's daughter. The rainbow is the symbol for the gay community so I thought Polychrome wasa fitting name. Thanks for asking.

[This message has been edited by Polychrome (edited 08-06-2005).]

therealgoodwitch
posted 08-06-2005 12:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for therealgoodwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I first read the book about a year ago when I just turned 16, and I'll be 17 in a month.

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-06-2005 09:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am 13 and could understand all of it, someone 11 or even 12 might not understand all the sexual stuff.

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-06-2005 09:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I did the math and so far the average age is 18, atleast for this board.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-06-2005 09:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well just to add a few things. I personally know Crope's Passion. He is 13 as well. So I agree that you should not read Wicked 12 years or younger. I agree also with Elphaba_Rocks. We may be the youngest but we still understand fully what is going on and what people are talking about. *counts on fingers.* so about 18 19 and 20 seem to be the readgular readings. 15, 16 and 13 are a bit of a minority. and 36. well thats just you polychrome. hope everyone enjoyed reading Wicked

Crope's Passion
posted 08-06-2005 12:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Crope's Passion   Click Here to Email Crope's Passion     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yeah im 13 too. I understood all of it. I think that people 12 and under shouldnt understand it, but the scary thing is most of them do. *Shudder*

melena
posted 08-06-2005 01:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for melena   Click Here to Email melena     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i'm 19 and read wicked for the first time at 15 or 16. i do think that i had a better understanding of it when i read it at 19 as opposed to 16 but that may be just because it was a second reading and you always understand things better the second time around.

cedricdiggory55
posted 08-06-2005 04:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cedricdiggory55   Click Here to Email cedricdiggory55     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i am 16, but i first read the book when i was 12 years old. i loved it and have since then read it several times over and over. i can't wait for son of a witch to come out. my friend won an advanced copy of it from harper collins publishers and i get to read it next week(8/8/2005). i can't wait. i'm exstatic!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoGoodDeedGoesUnpunished
posted 08-06-2005 10:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NoGoodDeedGoesUnpunished   Click Here to Email NoGoodDeedGoesUnpunished     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I read first when I was 12, but now I'm 13. I reread it recently and I understand it a lot more.

amers17
posted 08-06-2005 10:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for amers17   Click Here to Email amers17     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

buttercup
posted 08-07-2005 01:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for buttercup     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Actually read it when I was 32, but calculate the average with 33 and let's see if we can't get the age up a little higher.

(There's got to be some more post-college people out there reading/posting.)

Elphaba's Soul
posted 08-07-2005 01:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elphaba's Soul     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
mathwise, we're at 23...if anyone else is keeping track. ^.^

the green girl
posted 08-09-2005 09:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for the green girl   Click Here to Email the green girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
18 now, read it at 17. i was a little sad that i missed so many years of possible speculation, but i realize that being as sheltered as i have been, i may not have been able to fully understand it had i read it at a younger age, and therefore not able to fully appreciate it.
*i hope that my posts dont make me sound 12, because i, too, plan to study english/writing. and on that topic, yes, i realize that i lack capitalization and apostrophes, thats just my style.

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-09-2005 11:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My stepmom who is 38 read it, if that counts for anything, for some reason she hated it.
Then i read it and loved it. I don't know how anyone could hate it.

Elphaba
posted 08-09-2005 11:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elphaba   Click Here to Email Elphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know my best friend who is 23 didn't like it at all. She thought Mr. Maguire was too... sort of stuck up but that wasn't her words. She liked the the story but hated how it was written. I think she thought Mr. Maguire acted too big of a know it all and that can sort of be true at times. Even though I love the book and have read it like 5 times.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-10-2005 08:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well i mean my grandma was "shocked and appalud" that I read Wicked. Probably becuase of the adultness of it. But I'm 13. And I understood all of it. And I've only read it once. But i've re read certain parts a dozen times or more. I think the way Mr. Maguire rights is very blunt. He sometimes gets right to the point. And sometimes leaves us guessing. I think thats what (or one of the things) that makes an adult novel. If he didn't right like that, we all know it wouldn't be have as good as it is. Also my mother read it after I did. Supposdly she wouldnt have let me read it. But I think it's a great story line. And who cares if its ahs adult "themes" in it.

kumbricwitch
posted 08-10-2005 09:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kumbricwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My mom read it basically the same time I did.

Really, I started reading it, but then it was due back at the library...then the library lost it so I couldn't check it out again to finish it. Then my mom bought it, read it and then gave it to me to read.

She liked it. Although she had to rush through it since it was for a book club she's in and she was late starting it. I don't think my mom liked the musical much at all, though. Because of how it ended. The book she plans to read again, so she can catch a lot of the things she missed the first time.

buttercup
posted 08-10-2005 01:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for buttercup     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elphaba_rocks:
My stepmom who is 38 read it, if that counts for anything, for some reason she hated it.
Then i read it and loved it. I don't know how anyone could hate it.

I've read better books. I'm only here because it left so many questions unanswered and I wanted to know what others thought. It's definitely not one of my favorite books though. And my friends who've read it didn't like it at all.

Maybe it's an age thing. (Polychrome is gone for awhile, so I'll get away with that comment for now.)

kumbricwitch
posted 08-10-2005 01:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kumbricwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buttercup:
I've read better books. I'm only here because it left so many questions unanswered and I wanted to know what others thought. It's definitely not one of my favorite books though. And my friends who've read it didn't like it at all.

Maybe it's an age thing. (Polychrome is gone for awhile, so I'll get away with that comment for now.)

Well my mom liked it...and she's 56. Maybe after a certain age you fall back into liking it. Heh.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-10-2005 09:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
OH! not liking it. I mean i thought it was amazing. And I'm 13. Please dont go mocking my age. I may be young in this standered. But i understood it all and i love it.

the green girl
posted 08-11-2005 02:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for the green girl   Click Here to Email the green girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
my mom (47) read it a few months ago after she bought tickets to the show, because she wanted to know the general premise, and also why i loved it so much. but i don't think she really understood it. i think it has less to do with actual age and more to do with how childlike and willing to suspend belief the reader is.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-11-2005 02:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yes. But keep in mind. You should be a certain age. Yes there is Imagination involved to a sense. It is a wonderful story. But i think you shouldnt read it unless your 13 or older. You wouldnt be able to comprehend it

kumbricwitch
posted 08-11-2005 10:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kumbricwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Aelphaba:
Yes. But keep in mind. You should be a certain age. Yes there is Imagination involved to a sense. It is a wonderful story. But i think you shouldnt read it unless your 13 or older. You wouldnt be able to comprehend it

Or really, you may just not like it if you're not old enough. I've heard of several younger people who have read it and were just uncomfortable with the sex and such.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-11-2005 10:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Your proabably right. I dont know. I personally loved it. So did many who are older than me. I suppose that younger people are uncomterble with the sex part.

catfish
posted 08-12-2005 02:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for catfish   Click Here to Email catfish     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I’m 22 and in the middle of it now.

DuncekinLand
posted 08-12-2005 02:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DuncekinLand   Click Here to Email DuncekinLand     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
35..that'll get the average up, Buttercup!

And I have "explained" it to friends that are older (late 20's to 30's)...and they think the idea is phenomenal...the wicked witch in college, and the lion as a cub...and how she got wicked...loveless parents, etc...

but when they get the actual book, they have not enjoyed so much. Lots of crazy wordy geographic and religeious nomenclature and stuff that you really have to have read books like this before to get into. Lots of them have not, and subsequently could not get as into this one as I did.

bella
posted 08-15-2005 12:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bella     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 17 and read it last year. I can't imagine that most people who are 12 or 13 would get a lot of it. There's just so much in the book...I'm not even claiming I got all of it. I think it's a personal maturity thing though. My 13 year old sister is so repulsed by the idea of sex that she's never read it yet.

Elphaba_Fae
posted 08-15-2005 06:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elphaba_Fae   Click Here to Email Elphaba_Fae     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 14, and I just finished reading the book yesterday. I don't think it's really the age, more the maturity of the person reading it, which is a point that I think has already been raised. I read the begginning page to my friend, to give her a taste of the book, and she dissovled into giggles at the word 'hermaphroditic', and i don't think she even truly understood what it meant.

[This message has been edited by Elphaba_Fae (edited 08-15-2005).]

elphaba-fiyero
unregistered
posted 08-15-2005 04:57 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am 44 and I read it cause my daughter is doing a dance routine to the musical as a production, I loved the book but I do know that the musical is completely different. I cannot wait to see it in Chicago. All I know is that I will never look at the Wizard of Oz the same the innocent one was Elphaba all along. I have already pr-ordered his next book about Liir.

lilguitarocker
posted 08-15-2005 08:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lilguitarocker   Click Here to Email lilguitarocker     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 13

jenjor
unregistered
posted 08-16-2005 03:54 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm 27. I loved the book. My mother (52) is reading it now. My sister (29) has claim to read it next.

I think that a 12 year old would probably be able to understand the story very easily. I do believe that there are certain nuances that may be missed at a younger age. Also, just because someone 12 or younger (or even 13, 14, 15, etc.) can understand the book doesn't mean its appropriate for them to read it. But then, I plan on keeping my 6 year old locked in her room until she's 30 so perhaps you can't go by me.

This topic is 19 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | gregorymaguire.com

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46