Gregory Maguire Discussion Board
  Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of theWest
  Does Elphaba come back to life....maybe in Son of a Witch?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Does Elphaba come back to life....maybe in Son of a Witch?
Boq
unregistered
posted 07-13-2005 12:16 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm just wondering, because the last sentences of the book (spoiler) was.

"Did she ever come out?"

"Not yet."

...Well that leads to believe that Elphaba doesn't stay dead, but re-emerges. Does that seem plausible?

IP: Logged

Boq2
unregistered
posted 07-13-2005 12:57 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sorry, I didnt see the other post about this....my mistake!

Saint Aelphaba
posted 07-13-2005 08:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ooo yes your right it does. I hope she does. I love Elpbaba. She's awsome. But I'm sorry to say..i've read the summary for Son of Witch, and i'm almost definate she doesnt come back...but maybe..

EmeraldKnight 79
posted 08-01-2005 02:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for EmeraldKnight 79   Click Here to Email EmeraldKnight 79     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ok i love elphaba, too but i dont think she should come back to life. unless it is logical and makes sense i dont think so...

Crope's Passion
posted 08-02-2005 09:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Crope's Passion   Click Here to Email Crope's Passion     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree with EK, and I would like to add to St. Aelphaba: If Elphaba does come back in Son of a Witch, would they tell you that in the summary? Besides, I think that Elphaba's death, no matter how sad, is important. Gregory Maguire could hav eaisly changed it so that she dissapeered the moment before the water hit, or some how made her live, but he didn't. Elphaba's death shows us another facet of her.

Try Defying Gravity
posted 08-03-2005 08:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Try Defying Gravity     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I thought Elphaba didn't die, she was just hiding.

kumbricwitch
posted 08-03-2005 11:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kumbricwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Try Defying Gravity:
I thought Elphaba didn't die, she was just hiding.

That was only the musical that did that. The book, to me, seemed to clearly state that there "is no after in the ever after of a witch" thus eliminating any possibility of her return. As Elphaba anyway.

Mistress Hibbins
posted 08-07-2005 10:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mistress Hibbins     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I actually think that there is a sliver of possibility that Elphaba reappears in "Son of a Witch," and I have a rationale for that idea.

Check out the "What If" thread for my explaination; my fingers are too tired to type it all out here, again.

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-10-2005 08:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Elphaba is an awesome character, and should be in the musical.

kumbricwitch
posted 08-11-2005 12:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kumbricwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elphaba_rocks:
Elphaba is an awesome character, and should be in the musical.

You mean Son of a Witch?

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-11-2005 07:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yes, i meant Son on the Witch. Sometimes my thoughts go faster than my fingers.

Elphaba
posted 08-11-2005 07:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elphaba   Click Here to Email Elphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
She's also a dead character.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-11-2005 07:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yes that pretty much ends it everyone. She is dead and gone (so sorry too say i know. I love her a lot) But elphaba isnt coming back.... though Galinda might...hey just a thought.

kumbricwitch
posted 08-11-2005 10:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kumbricwitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah, I'm really not expecting any return of Elphaba.

I hope at least some people return aside from Liir.

MiniMenzel
unregistered
posted 08-14-2005 05:09 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I really hope Elphaba comes back, I'm almost determined!

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-14-2005 06:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elphaba:
She's also a dead character.

Who says she dead, the last sentences hint twords a comeback. And in the book we think she dies, but where does it say in words that she is dead?

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-14-2005 07:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"there is no afterwards for a Witch." which inclines shes not coming back. So i do belive she is dead. I'm sad to see her go.

MissElphaba
posted 08-14-2005 10:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MissElphaba   Click Here to Email MissElphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Reguardless of whether Elphaba returns, I am still holding on to a reappearance of Fiyero... u know the whole Father and Son plot...

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-14-2005 10:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nice.. although that would be cool...sadly i think poor fiyero is gone.

bella
posted 08-15-2005 12:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bella     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah, the musical ends on a positive note, while the book ends tragically...Elphaba and Fiyero die. Some time I may type out Maguires comments in the CD book cover. He basically says that the Wicked Witch is, and will always, be out there to scare and intrigue us.

Morri
unregistered
posted 08-15-2005 06:12 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think the legend of St. Aelphaba has some merit and the "Not yet." line, but I still believe that Elphaba is dead. ^_^

I do think Fiyero will show up in the next book, though. I think he will be the Scarecrow, just like Elphaba did.

dancingthrulife
unregistered
posted 08-15-2005 08:32 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
oh i hope she comes back...or at least i hope liir mans up a little...he annoys the crap out of me.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-15-2005 08:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Haha. yeah how he fell for dorothy like THAT. *snaps fingers* that was funny. He should become more... i dunno like his mother, or his father...that'd be a plus!

elphaba_rocks
posted 08-15-2005 10:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for elphaba_rocks   Click Here to Email elphaba_rocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bella:
Yeah, the musical ends on a positive note, while the book ends tragically...Elphaba and Fiyero die. Some time I may type out Maguires comments in the CD book cover. He basically says that the Wicked Witch is, and will always, be out there to scare and intrigue us.

Scare? Who is scared of Elphaba? Not me. Elphaba is not scary.

Saint Aelphaba
posted 08-15-2005 10:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Saint Aelphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
No i think mr. maguire meant as in she will always be around to intrgue others. as well as scare.

Elphaba
posted 08-15-2005 11:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Elphaba   Click Here to Email Elphaba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As a child, Mr. Maguire was horrified and frightened of the Witch just like so many young children. It's why he wrote the book.

jenjor
posted 08-16-2005 08:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jenjor     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As much as I like Elphaba I don't think she should come back. I think her return in Son of a Witch would ruin the ending of Wicked.

I think that it is important to note that Saint Aelphaba did disapear into the WATERfall and came out later. Is it coincidence that WATER is what killed Elphaba? I don't know. Of course Elphaba didn't seem to beleive that Aelphaba really did return. But it leaves it open for debate that's for sure.

[This message has been edited by jenjor (edited 08-16-2005).]

Azaelia
posted 08-23-2005 08:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Azaelia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree, her coming back would kind of ruin the tragic element of the first book.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | gregorymaguire.com

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46